Fabric?!

A friend recently asked me what was the difference between woven and printed fabric?
Hmmm easy I thought one has a pattern woven through it and the other has the pattern printed on the face side of the fabric! but I hesitated to answer, I wasn't sure to be honest if I would answer correctly so I thought oooooh good subject for the blog, I'll research it and post the answer here!

Woven fabric uses every thread to produce the pattern such as plaids and stripes.

however you can sometime work a little detail into the pattern such as this cute little Pineapple fabric.



Another option to woven textured fabrics is adding embroidery to it, this adds an exciting twist the run of the mill silk dupioni or a cotton, wool etc... such as pictured.




Ooooooh and of course there is "Crewl work"
Which can be done on a machine

...or by hand.


But be careful, one time I was working with this fabric and a shipment had come in from India, as soon as we opened the roll's of fabric nasty little fly eggs hatched and flew all around our workroom... GROSS normally this type of thing is checked for, who knows what happened!? Oh and I might add this happened before we started designing children's clothes so you don't have to worry about your lovely clothes hatching any eggs!

A printed fabric is normally just that! A print applied to the surface of the fabric, cotton, silk etc... this is a much more cost effective and less time consuming alternative to the woven fabric process. It also allows you to have brighter fun colours.






There are SOOOOOOO many yummy fabrics out there that you just want to bath in :-)
I could go on and on but you have probably nodded of at this point?! I'll post something really exciting soon I promise

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Very interesting - good information. I had no idea there were so many styles of woven also. Thanks!